Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 23-24


I was still buzzing from the US victory as I pulled up to Difficult Run for a 13mi progression with Mike Smith. Mike was punctual and positive like always and we took off in good spirits despite the heat. We made the smart decision to loop back to the car for water and accelerade before we started to crank it down. I had turned my ankle hard 20 minutes into the run but eventually the pain settled leaving the heat, humidity, and bugs as the only things bothering me. Getting back to the car was great though. Toweling off and having a drink got me ready for the hard part of this run. The next 3+ miles were strong as we picked up the pace and rolled through the trails. The last 3+ miles were great. We really attacked the trails and kept a fast pace through the woods. I was happy with both the effort and the speed. Mike was a beast too. I led (as was my preference after the ankle turn) and despite going as hard as I could at times, Mike never let a gap form. That guy is fit right now. His 100+ mile weeks are evident in his strength right now. Mike’s school situation prevents him from getting to a lot of GRC runs, but I have to get him out to a few more things.

Thursday AM I ran a slow 8 miles with Joe and Jake. I was feeling better than expected given the effort from the night before. I was content to take the run nice and easy, especially considering it was already nasty hot out by 8. My ankle and lower leg were still tender and sore so I have to be careful for a few days and take care of it.

Link to a great video for the world cup anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6MgI_HTWU&feature=related

No comments: