Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Coming Back Again



A lot has happened in the year + since I’ve posted last.  There was the incredible high of welcoming my 2nd daughter, Juliet, to the world in September.  There was also the devastating low of losing teammate Lauren Woodall Roady.  I’ve already written some abut this before, so I won’t go into detail on this blog now.  Losing Lauren was tough but seeing how much she loved running and how hard she worked at it, made me refocus on my priorities, including running.  That focus, and the honor of running with the GRC, really helped me get back into shape after the break I had around Juliet’s birth.  However, a series of viruses and infections went around my family this winter and derailed my training.  When coming back from that injury I suffered a stress fracture in my cuboid bone and peroneal tendinopathy in my left foot.  That took me out for a while and then I hurt my right knee (patella tendinopathy) when I could finally run again.  That leads me to now – battling the lingering pain in my knee, out of shape, overweight, and feeling old.  So I’m using this blog to motivate myself to work hard enough for another stretch of competitive running with the GRC.  Ideally I’ll stay healthy enough for a fit club nationals XC race and some road PRs before I hang ‘em up for good.  Whatever happens, I’m going to focus on having fun and running with my team.  Running was taken a backseat to my 2 kids, wife, and career.  It’s harder to train now, but I love it and will work hard to make it work.  I’ll always have running in my life (coaching, hobby jogging, etc) but I’ll see if I can steal a little more time for competitive racing.  This blog will also serve to keep my friends and family updated on the comeback.
Monday (6/17) was a double.  I ran 10 miles total 4 in the AM and 6 in the PM with Lily in the jogging stroller.  The second run was especially hard with the stroller and the heat.  I iced my knee after both runs.  I weighed 157.0 in the morning.  I have a long way to go but am looking forward to the challenge ahead of me.

 

3 comments:

Andy said...

In the words of the legendary Joe Wiegner, "Giddy up!"

Elizabeth said...

Glad to see things are finally starting to feel better for you! BTW, "overweight" and "old" are two words that nobody would ever use to describe you!

Ancient Chinese Secret said...

I thought “Giddy up” was from Cosmo Kramer, not the other guy.