Monday, March 14, 2011

110 miles in 9 runs


Friday was a 13 mile run and I was feeling pretty tired. Em and I have been trying some different things to get Lily sleeping better at night but it hasn't been working too well. Not getting good sleep makes me feel tired and sore. We will be doing some more sleep training soon and I really hope it works well. I'm sure Emily feels even stronger about that since it affects her more.

Saturday was a 10 mile tempo during the St. Pat's run in Margate while visiting my parents in Wildwood Crest. It turned out to be a pretty good workout despite a few mishaps. I went out with some of the 5K guys since I just wanted to run with some people. I continued with the on part of the broken tempo for a couple more miles and felt pretty good with the wind at my back. I then backed off for the next couple miles stopping once to pick up a glove I dropped while getting water from a station. At the turn around, I needed to stop to tie my shoe which had become mostly undone. It took way too long to completely untie and retie the mangled laces and when I looked up a few guys from the race were closing in on me down the boardwalk. I took off hard into the wind for another 3 miles of on section. I was happy to slow down for the last couple miles because the wind was vicious. The total time was 53:47 (http://www.aksts.com/results2011/StPats10mi2011all.pdf) and I was happy with the workout and glad the wardrobe malfunctions didn't happen in a tight race. It was nice to get this in mostly on the soft boardwalk surface but the wind affected my form and left me a little sore. BTW, Emily won again - taking the 5K in 19:27!

Sunday was a 20+ mile run in windy conditions - again! Started out with a nice 50 mins with Emily running 7-min pace which was great. I picked it up a bit for the last 1:30. I got a lot of beach in there and some boardwalk too which was really nice. I got in 110 miles on 9 runs and was happy with the work I got in this week. Next week I'll still get in around 100 but I'll probably run some more doubles since I am racing a 5 miler next week and want to run a fast one.

Started off the week with a 13 mile run with the NBDP. Felt tired from the clock change but the legs are holding up well.