Sunday, March 6, 2011

102 for the week

Thursday I did a double totaling 18 miles instead of my usual medium distance run due to schedule reasons. On my second run I was tired but still found myself running too fast a couple times. Health-wise I was experiencing a sore throat and some congestion which seem to be the lingering form of the cold.

Friday was a nice and easy 13, doing 10 with Joe, who is coming back smart from a bout with the flu. Besides the same health issues affecting me, I felt great.

Saturday was a long workout. 3 miles up, 4 miles on the track @ 5:05, 5 miles easy (did 6:15 pace or so), 3 miles on the track @ 5 min, and 3 miles down. We hit a couple seconds fast for the tempos although I don't remember the exact times. I was still feeling some remnants of the cold, but settled in and felt good by the second tempo segment. I ended up feeling like I could have gone quite a bit further at that pace, although it still felt good to finish. Ivy legend and Princeton alum David Nightingale was on-hand to jog the workout as Luff (who looked great by the way) and I worked hard to stay with him. It was a rare but fun Saturday at the track.

I capped off the week with 15 miles from the line with the guys to give me 102 miles for the week on 8 runs with 2 solid workouts. It was warm and rainy and it felt really good to out there. I still have a sore throat and some congestion but I was happy with how the week went given how terrible I felt at the beginning of it. I'll feel really happy with where I am fitness-wise as soon as I kick the rest of this cold. I'll stick to the fluids, smoothies, and sinus rinses to get me through it. I am feeling ready to start racing soon. This past month and a half has been good for me as I've gained a lot of fitness and my legs feel great. I haven't had to do much ice therapy at all. Coincidentally I haven't done any strength training at all during this time either. I'll add that in sometime soon but for now I've gotten by well without it. I'm looking forward to another solid week of training.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Karl, is there a marathon you are training for in the near future? I'm surprised (happily so) at the number of miles you are putting in right now.

Karl D. said...

Hi Erika,

Everything I am doing now is in preparation for qualifying and running the 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon. Right now, I am scheduled to race the Cherry Blossom 10-miler (here in DC) in April and then try to qualify with a half marathon in Minnesota in June. If that doesn't work out, I'll most likely run the Chicago Marathon in October.