Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rebouding


The last couple weeks were productive in different ways. 2 weeks ago I was at the shore for a family vacation. The running was sparse but I got in some miles, played tennis, and swam. The main running highlight was a 4th of July race (Sister Blister 5K) where I won in ~15:10, beating a G-town ’09 grad and winning some cash. Overall, the training wasn’t great that week but I had some time to reset and really think about how bad I want this (a lot!). I loved spending time with my family and started to really look forward to the hard work ahead. I felt really confident about my chances going forward despite packing on a few pounds do to all the good food around there.

I started the real training the next week. It was a typical hot and humid DC summer week and I pushed through an 82 mile week in 8 runs. Wednesday was a 2 x 2mile done in 9:59 and 9:52 that was harder than it was on paper thanks to the heat. I was able to get in a nice rhythm and got it through it. Friday was a nice double and Saturday was a great 15 mile run from the Line, closing hard for the last 3 miles after running a solid pace for the whole run. Sunday, I got to run with Cote who was in town for a friend’s 30th. It was a great week. I gained some more confidence and took a step towards regaining my fitness. I lost some of the weight I put on, with a few more pounds to go (130lbs goal weight for Chicago!).

This week has gotten off to a good start. Monday was a 13 mile run on the CJ trails and Tuesday was a double totaling 17 miles. I’m looking at 90+ this week but have a race on Saturday night so I wanted to get a bit ahead on my miles. It should be a tough few days in high heat but hopefully it will make me stronger. The following week will be tough to get in high mileage due to two separate trips for work and then Garvie’s wedding, both with early AM flights and tight schedules. It might have to serve as a down week but I’ll do all I can to keep progressing.

No comments: