Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cherry Blossom 10 miler: 50:06, 16th place

This one falls easily into my general running philosophy to always be happy, never be satisfied.  I wanted to run faster, but I'm pleased with how I battled to salvage a decent performance.  I went out exactly how I wanted (4:56) but found myself without anyone around.  I'm too slow to go with the leaders and my ideal pace was a little ahead of the chase pack.  It was windy and sunny and I hated having nobody to help with the pacing / breaking the wind.  I slowed a great bit in the next couple of miles, having a few guys catch me and even surge ahead of me later on, as I was taxed from the early difficulties.  I was hoping to have some GRC guys to run with at this point but found out later there were just a few meters back.  I did have Bert to catch as he gapped me as I was struggling, having let a few negative thoughts in there as my pace slowed.  I was determined to salvage the race though and from 6 miles on I manned up, clicking off miles in the 4:53-4:57 range along Hains Point.  I caught Bert and was in battle mode as I reached the 9 mile point in 45:04.  I thought I had sub-50 in the bag at this point, and despite keeping my foot on the gas, the slight uphill in the last mile did me in, and I managed a 50:06.

I fell short of my goal but was happy to run a decent pace after that looked like it might fade away from me in the middle of the race.  My prep for the race was good but I know I can go a great deal faster, and I'm still very confident I can hit the trials qualifier in the half when I attempt a sub-1:05 at Grandma's Half in mid-June.  I am ready to put in some more work, with high mileage / solid intensity weeks coming up.  The guys did so well at CB that it would take too long to mention everyone that ran well.  I'm very happy to be a part of this team and I know I have a great crew (and coach!) to work with to reach my goals. 

I ran 81 miles in 8 runs last week.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Karl, how do you know your pace per mile? It is just from the times displayed per mile or do you use a GPS watch?

Karl D. said...

In most bigger races, they have clocks at the mile markers.

Charlie Ban said...

Update your blog, you goon